Letting go of ego

Ego is a curious entity. Some experts say it is a part of our human makeup because it keeps our species alive. Other experts say it is the one reason that is going to end man's existence.


Ego cost me the ability to enjoy sports, relationships and my career. All of these became anxious nightmares because I was placing my whole identity on being the best, which translated into superiority or at least higher human hierarchy.


I think sometimes we lose many quality traits like self-esteem, pride, assertiveness, responsible and well-groomed because we mistakenly place it under the umbrella of Ego. In fact I would argue that ego is the complete opposite of these adjectives. I once said about me "I have done many good deeds, but at times for the wrong reason." The tasks I was doing for good, like getting my Master's degree to help cardiac patients heal and live healthy lives, on the surface appeared admirable.


But underneath this humanitarian surface lie the falsity of Ego. It is true that I help many people but I was so proud of me that I forgot who I was serving. My Ego was telling me that I was a superior person that should have respect. My Ego was telling me that I was better than my comrade brother because I had the "made out" prestigious job versus their more pheasant job. Now I may be putting more judgment on myself because I never treated the house cleaners and groundskeepers any less than I treated the Doctors.


But I would often think to me "how can these people be so happy working so hard for such little money." That is pure ego. The funny part of Ego is it can present itself in many simple forms.


The Wayne Dyer CD Collection Audio CD


This 4-CD collection is filled with Wayne's incomparable wisdom. It guides us to new levels of self-awareness. Includes There Is A Spiritual Solution to Every Problem, Dr. Wayne W. Dyers 10 Secrets to Success and Inner Peace, Improve Your Life Using the Wisdom of the Ages, and How to Get What You Really, Really, Really, Really Want. Author Wayne W. Dyer Studio Hay House, Incorporated Format Book Audio CD


Let me give you an example on Ego and how tricky it can be to be aware of its presence. Let's say that a person realizes that they are too wrapped up in themselves (ego) and work hard to replace human hierarchy, materialism, their need to be always right and judgment. But it in the process becomes judgmental of those that don't surrender their Egotistical ways. Well, this is ego again showing feeding its ugly side, which only strengthens it, so subtly. I often notice this in many organized religion and politics. I am right and you are wrong and I will even commit war against you and kill those of you that think differently than I.


I have said the ego, if left unnoticed, will eventually kill its host. Suicide, by having so much in life but still not being happy, is the Ego which is running out of food to survive. Many times the Ego will feast on short-lived roles (being an all-mighty Doctor, Lawyer, CEO); or conquest (sleeping with many women, or a women so caught up in proving herself equal in the workforce). Soon Ego needs more of these short-term victories to feel fulfilled. Environmental pollution, Global warming, nations at war all connecting with Ego. "I need to control and have tons of money, even at the expense of the planet. I or we need to be right, resulting in other young men and women lay their lives on the line so a country's leader can display that their ideals are the correct way.


If you were to read "Radical Forgiveness" by Colin Tipping or "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle you will discover that in the basic breakdown of their philosophy about Ego is letting go of roles that define you. The reason, once the role ceases to exist then you no longer know who are and this leads to depression, anxiety and a need fulfillment by outside sources.


A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose (Oprah's Book Club #61)


The newest selection from Oprah s Book Club Illuminating, enlightening, and uplifting, A New Earth is a profoundly spiritual guide to creating a better way of living and a better world to live in. Building on the astonishing success of The Power of Now, Eckhart Tolle presents readers with an honest look at the current state of humanity: He implores us to see and accept that this state, which is based on an erroneous identification with the egoic mind, is one of dangerous insanity. Tolle tells us there is good news, however. There is an alternative to this potentially dire situation. Humanity now, perhaps more than in any previous time, has an opportunity to create a new, saner, more loving world.


This will involve a radical inner leap from the current egoic consciousness to an entirely new one. In illuminating the nature of this shift in consciousness, Tolle describes in detail how our current ego-based state of consciousness operates. Then gently, and in very practical terms, he leads us into this new consciousness. We will come to experience who we truly are which is something infinitely greater than anything we currently think we are and learn to live and breathe freely.


From The Publisher: The Power of Now established Eckhart Tolle as one of the leading spiritual teachers writing today. Now, his long-awaited follow-up brings his inspiring and profound message to a whole new audience. Building on the astonishing success of The Power of Now, Eckhart Tolle takes us beyond our own lives to show that we now have the opportunity to birth a new, more loving world. This involves a radical inner leap of consciousness from the current identification with our ego to an entirely new way of thinking about who we are. For this to happen, the very strictures of the human mind need to undergo an evolutionary transformation.


In A New Earth, Tolle shows how this transformation can occur not only in ourselves, but in the world around us. In illuminating the nature of this shift of consciousness, Tolle describes in detail how our current ego-based state of consciousness operates. He then gently and in very practical terms leads us into this new consciousness. We will come to experience who we are truly are, which is infinitely greater than anything we currently think we are. About The Author: ECKHART TOLLE is the author of the #1 New York Times bestseller The Power of Now (translated into 33 languages) and the highly acclaimed follow-up A New Earth, which are widely regarded as two of the most influential.


The roles can be as obvious as parenting, our profession, our team, and our community or as subtle as our religious beliefs. So how do you have a sense of pride? And who are we?


Let me start by answering the second question "who are we"; the answer is I don't know. The difficulty in this answer is accepting it for what it is and not analyze. If you need something to hang your hat on the two authors would say "you are a spiritual being having a human experience" and there is no need for human Ego.


The response to the first question about pride, the authors keep this simple. Pride is neither good nor bad. Pride is only unhealthy when it is ego driven. You loose yourself in the identification with anything other than the one identity that makes every living organism special and connects all of us -Source Energy. This creates what they call duality or cutting ourselves off from the Divine.


I see this displayed coaching youth hockey - I have even seen it in me. Parents come to cheer for their children only to leave the rink shouting at them or getting into a fight with another parent. The parent's own ego has been threaten because of how identified they have become with the success of their child. Almost to the point where they feel the child has caused them to lose their pride and their human and community hierarchy.


I encourage you to read the two books on Ego. However, I want to leave you with on major theme of both these authors and that is not to fight your Ego. Conflict only makes the Ego stronger. Be ware of it and notice it in yourself and in others without judgment, just become aware and accept the Ego. Once the Ego is under the spotlight it will begin to dissolve on its own.


View the original article here


Psychology Book Reviews